Know what the brand really stands for
Clear differentiation from the competition is essential for every brand – B2B as well as B2C – to operate successfully in the market.
In our brand workshop, we develop the tools you need to effectively differentiate the brand and manage it internally and externally:
A clear definition of what the brand and its services really stand for, for which target groups they are relevant, and how to reach the target group.
Brands for which we have created clarity
Community, tech and lifestyle brands that we had the pleasure of supporting with our brand workshops
Why brands need a clear identity
The days when product or service quality alone prevailed in the long term are a thing of the past. Every year, tens of thousands of trademarks are registered in Germany alone. In 2020, there were 89,442 new registrations despite the pandemic. That’s 13.5% more than the year before.
Considering the immense choice, it is vital to position oneself clearly and to communicate what the brand really stands for. Therefore, for a cutting-edge positioning and branding that appeals to the right people, it is essential to develop a differentiated value proposition, the redeemable promise and an unmistakable target group approach.
Admittedly, it’s tempting to go broad because you don’t want to exclude any target group. On the other hand, who likes to go out for pizza at an Asian restaurant? If you try to please everyone, you won’t create a clear image, figuratively or literally.
Workshop result: the brand in a nutshell
We document the contents from the workshop in words and pictures and formulate them. The result is a brand frame for the positioning, the brand design and the storytelling of the brand.
Brand core, brand values
Clear definition of what the brand stands for.
Memorable statement of why the brand is in the world.
Articulation of why, how and what the brand offers.
Memorable statement, what the brand is striving for.
Definition of target demo
Using sinus milieus and buyer personae to show to whom the brand speaks.
A tangible statement of added value for customers.
Narrative of the brand that can be transferred to all touchpoints.
Definition of a tonality with which the target group identifies.
Three steps to a clear brand identity
1. Book Brand Workshop
You define your goals, we take care of space, framework and structure.
2. Define your brand identity
In this one-day workshop, we clarify co-creatively what your brand really stands for.
3. Communicate consistently
With the brand frame, you communicate quite consistently: at all touchpoints, internally and externally.
Advantages of a workshop and brand frame
- Efficiency: The compressed, intensive examination of content without distraction by day-to-day business leads to concrete results in a short time.
- Change of perspective: As an external sparring partner, we challenge self-perception and make it possible to view the brand from the customer’s point of view.
- Enthusiasm: There is more to the brand than is perceived in daily business. It is not uncommon to discover unrecognized sides of the brand or to rediscover the power of the brand together.
- Participation: Involving employees in the process strengthens identification with the brand and creates multipliers.
- Orientation: A brand frame offers orientation in day-to-day business and facilitates strategic decisions through guard rails. It is a blueprint for brand communication.
- Pitch alternative: A brand workshop is a good test for our collaboration – in terms of content, expertise, culture and personality. It creates a common understanding of tasks and goals – and thus an optimal basis for the right brand design.
How we create clarity in the brand workshop
Together with our clients, we develop values, purpose, positioning, product vision and look & feel of the brand in one day. The set-up: Depending on the location, we offer both on-site in our studio and remotely as a digital format.
Presentation of Analyse
Research results on brand, market participants, target groups and initial impulses.
The brand balues that the brand stands for are determined and a core value is defined.
The brand is positioned in the competition by the plenum based on a positioning cross.
Based on stakeholder interviews, we build buyer personae to understand their needs.
Brand Purpose Board
Identification of the brand purpose and alignment of goals, target group needs and solutions of the brand on a matrix.
Brand Personality Sliders
The plenum locates the brand between opposing poles, e.g. Young and Innovative vs. Established and Classic.
The plenary illustrates what the CORE VALUE feels and looks like using visuals.
The plenum uses a fictitious article to illustrate how the brand should be seen by the public.
Meet the moderators
Dr. Birgit Joest
- Founder of Helder
- PHD Media Studies
- 15 years of branding experience
- International Business Management B.A
- Communication & Leadership
- 7 Years experience in project management
When is a brand workshop useful?
The brand workshop is an effective method for self-reflection.
The format is an established part of the brand process for good reason.
A well-structured and professionally facilitated workshop has many advantages for customers. Regardless of size, age, industry or type of organization, there are typical scenarios that require clarity of content:
- Foundation: Development of a brand identity in the course of founding a company or developing a new brand
- New setup: Structural changes within the company that require the brand to be positioned, e.g. in the further development of the portfolio and brand architecture
- Rebranding: Creation of a creative brief for the further development or updating
of a brand design
- Relaunch Website: Check whether the appearance still adequately reflects the brand
What questions can the brand workshop provide answers to?
In the workshop, we elaborate answers to fundamental questions that every company must ask itself in order to succeed in the future, e.g.:
Who should attend the brand workshop?
A brand workshop opens up the space to take a step back and look at the brand from a certain distance – meaning from the perspective of the people who are to be addressed. To make the most of this space, we recommend considering the following team set-up as much as possible:
- Decision-makers (including future ones): These can be founders, CEOs, VPs or team leads. They usually have strong opinions and make the final decisions. Without their participation, there is a risk that the results of the workshop will not be implemented.
- Marketing experts: They have been primarily responsible for external communications to date and will continue to be so in the future. It is therefore essential that they are involved in the process.
- Product experts: technically heterogeneous Groups often discover surprising new perspectives because people work together in the workshop who do not necessarily do so in their everyday work. Product experts are also in the best position to judge whether what is promised can actually be implemented.
- Sales experts: They form an excellent interface between internal and external perspectives. Interaction with customers provides important insights that are essential for brand development.
- Controversial opinions: In many teams, there are people who stand out with their opinions. Even if this does not make a discussion any easier, it is important to allow different perspectives on the brand – they help to take off the blinders of everyday life.
„The brand workshop still forms the basis of our communications strategy today. It has made brand management of Weingut Prinz Salm much easier for us, because we now have a clear basis for decision-making.“
„Helder has the ability to capture the essence of the company’s idea and translate it into one word. We have benefited from this for our own brand as well as our clients.“
„Together with Helder, we developed a narrative that makes complex services and products understandable, accessible and desirable.“
„In the brand workshop, we experienced the potential of our brand from a new perspective. The process has positively changed external and internal brand perception.“
„For two years in a row, Helder’s naming and design perfectly translated the themes of sustainability and responsibility into the ASC & MSC Brand Awareness campaign. In this way, we have significantly increased consumer confidence in our seals and brand awareness.“
„With Helder, we have not only developed a brand, but also a lifestyle. Together we created a value strategy and based on it a brand design that I can identify with 100%.“
Helder Brand Workshop — Overview
- Duration: 6 hours (excluding preparation)
- Facilitation: A team that consists of Helder’s brand strategy and brand design leads through the workshop
- Space: The workshop takes place in a fully equipped studio in Berlin, on-site at the client’s location or remotely.
- Materials: We provide all the materials needed for working
- Costs: The costs depend on the effort of preparation and follow-up, which can vary depending on the project scope. We will be happy to make you a non-binding offer.
Überblick der häufig gestellten Fragen
Was ist ein Markenworkshop?
Ein Markenworkshop hilft eine neue Marke zu entwickeln oder eine bestehende Marke weiterzuentwickeln. Es ist dient als Raum der Selbstreflexion, in dem Werte, Kern, Purpose, USP und Tonalität der Marke identifiziert werden. Das Ziel ist ein klares Markenprofil, das die Marke vom Wettbewerb differenziert.
Warum ist ein Markenworkshop wichtig?
Ein Markenworkshop ist wichtig, um die Marke richtig zu positionieren und begehrlich zu differenzieren. Der Markenworkshop hilft zu definieren wofür die Marke steht, die Markenidentität und die Markenpersönlichkeit zu entwickeln, dass sich Stakeholder mit der Marke identifizieren können.
Was wird in einem Markenworkshop erarbeitet?
Das Ziel ist die Entwicklung eines klaren Markenprofils, das die Grundlage der Markenstrategie bildet. Dafür betrachten wir Markenwerte, Purpose, Zielgruppen und Ziele der Marke und erörtern welche Botschaften, die Bedarfe potentieller Kund:innen abdecken.
Wann ist ein Markenworkshop sinnvoll?
Wann ist ein Workshop sinnvoll? Bei der Entwicklung eines Brand Designs im Zuge einer Unternehmensgründung bzw. der (Weiter-) Entwicklung einer Marke, zur Überprüfung oder Entwicklung einer Markenarchitektur, bei strukturellen Veränderungen innerhalb des Unternehmens oder einem Relaunch der Website.
Wer nimmt an einem Markenworkshop teil?
Eine diverse Teamkonstellation bietet verschiedenen Perspektiven auf die Marke und damit eine optimale Grundlage für die Selbstreflexion. Als Teilnehmende empfiehlt sich eine fachlich, hierarchisch und persönlich heterogene Gruppe.
Welche Methoden benutzt man in einem Markenworkshop?
Ein Markenworkshop besteht aus analytischen und kreativen Methoden. Diese werden Einzeln und im Team bearbeitet. Jede Übung trägt dazu bei, Potentiale zu entdecken und Klarheit für die Marke zu gewinnen.
Wie lange dauert ein Markenworkshop?
Ein Markenworkshop dauert in der Regel 6 Stunden.Inklusive Pausen sollte man sich einen Tag lang Zeit nehmen, um die Marke gemeinsam zu betrachten und entwickeln.
Was kostet einen Markenworkshop?
Die Kosten für einen Markenworkshop richten sich nach Aufwand von Vor- und Nachbereitung, die je nach Project Scope variieren kann. Die Kosten decken die Recherche, die strategische Vorbereitung, die Beratung und die Entwicklung des Markenprofils ab.
Was versteht man unter einem ko-kreativen Workshop?
In einem ko-kreativen Markenworkshop entwickeln Partner:innen und Auftraggeber:innen die Marke mit Hilfe individuellem sowie kollaborativen Denken und Handeln. Ein Dialog auf Augenhöhe ist Grundlage für die Zusammenarbeit.